A brief history
Antigua Bodega, originally called “El Parque”, is one of the first anti-seismic buildings with pure and stylish architecture in San Juan (1918). During the 1944 earthquake, almost all the old buildings in San Juan collapsed. Antigua Bodega kept its structure almost intact. Many families sought shelter in Antigua Bodega while the surrounding buildings were being rebuilt.
This noble building became an architectural heritage and an example of the solidarity of the province and its inhabitants. It is a silent witness of a major milestone in the roots of its citizens: full of hard work, hope and a symbol of rebirth culminating in the joy of a well-done job and emulating the process required to produce our high quality wines and sparkling wines.
n 1990, Luis Víctor Chirino, pioneer in the building industry in San Juan and a person with a passion for winemaking tradition in the region, invested not only in ideal lands to produce varietal wines but also in two wineries where nowadays wines and sparkling wines are made with forefront technology.
Don Luis’s interest in wine production was already born in the 80’s, that’s why he purchases then the historical establishment Antigua Bodega. After an intensive restoration work, it reopens its doors in 1994. In this process, the active participation of Don Luis’s wife, Azucena “Chiqui” Juarez de Chirino is crucial by getting renowned local artists involved in the redecoration of each room and place in the Winery.
Evolution and time engaged both sons, Luis Victor and Luis Alberto, in this project. Both of them cooperate in the development of new products, institutional relations, logistics and local and international distribution.